If you own some type of heating device or gas-fueled appliance, then you’ve likely been warned about the possibility of carbon monoxide entering your home. Unfortunately, many underestimate just how harmful this gas is. Knowing more about this deadly substance could make all the difference in keeping Carbon monoxide signyou and your loved ones safer, so study some facts below to learn more.

Still have questions or feel at all concerned about the state of your fireplace, chimney, or dryer vents? Call on our staff. We would be happy to do everything we can to keep your home as safe as possible, especially with colder weather on the way!

It Causes Hundreds Of Deaths Per Year

Carbon monoxide is very poisonous. As you breathe it in, it enters your bloodstream and prevents the spread of oxygen throughout your body. Unfortunately, most people pass out before realizing anything is wrong, causing them to continue inhaling it until they pass away. Between 2010 and 2015 alone, well over 2,000 deaths were caused by exposure to carbon monoxide throughout the world.

It Is Colorless & Odorless

Now, it’s clear that carbon monoxide isn’t something to mess around with, but a person should be able to sense its presence before it becomes fatal, right? Not likely. Carbon monoxide is both colorless and odorless, so detecting it in your home is next to impossible unless you have a device installed that will alert you. Because of this, we strongly encourage all homeowners to have carbon monoxide detectors installed all throughout their property.

Knowing Symptoms Of Exposure Could Save A Life

So, are there any clear cut signs that exposure has occurred? Well, there are some physical symptoms you can be aware of. Dizziness, nausea, confusion, vomiting, upset stomach, headaches, and similar flu-like symptoms are known to occur if a person breathes in carbon monoxide. If you fear you or someone else has inhaled this gas, leave the area immediately and call for medical attention. Once a person starts breathing fresh air again, carbon monoxide leaves the body quite quickly, so the sooner you act the better.

Prevention Is Possible

As we said, carbon monoxide detectors play a big part in keeping your loved ones better protected, but that’s not all you can do to prevent exposure. We also encourage homeowners to invest in regular inspections and maintenance for any appliances throughout their home. This is one of the most effective ways to keep carbon monoxide from entering your space, and here at Sweeps & Ladders Chimney Service, we are more than qualified to help you out.

If you are ready to get your inspection on the books, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team today. Fall is just around the corner and, once it arrives, our books fill up fast. Call now to beat the rush, so you can enjoy your fireplace with peace of mind throughout the colder months ahead. Our team is standing by!

Call Now Button